Are you struggling to come up with a name for your baby girl? What about some Scandinavian girl names to get you started?
Scandinavian girl names are known for their unique and beautiful meanings. Many of these names have a strong connection to nature, mythology, and the traditional culture of the Nordic countries. They are often simple and elegant, making them perfect for parents looking for a unique name for their little girl.
From the classic and timeless names like “Ingrid” and “Astrid” to the more modern and trendy names like “Sofia” and “Linnéa”, this list of 110+ Scandinavian girl names offers a wide range of options for parents to choose from.
Whether you’re looking for a name with a strong meaning or just a name that sounds beautiful, these names are sure to inspire.
Names are categorized into the themes below:
- Popular Scandinavian girl names
- Mythological Scandinavian girl names
- Powerful Scandinavian girl names
- Nature-Inspired Scandinavian girl names
- Exotic Scandinavian girl names
41 Popular Scandinavian Girl Names
Are you looking for famous Scandinavian baby girl names? Check out these Scandinavian names, which have been hitting the trends and rising in popularity in recent times.
One-Syllable Popular Scandinavian Girl Names
- Liv – life. A short and beautiful Scandinavian name.
- Snoh – compromising
- Mia – mine
- Nia – bright
- Signe – victory.
- Frea – lady
- Ann – gracious. Ann-Margret Olsson is a Swedish-American actress, singer, and dancer.
- Pia – pure
- Lene – soft, gentle
- Tove – goddess of war
- Liv – life.
- Line – linen thread
Two-Syllable Popular Scandinavian Girl Names
- Astrid – divine strength. Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren was a Swedish writer of fiction and screenplays.
- Neneh – little girl. Neneh Cherry is a Swedish rapper, singer, songwriter, occasional DJ, and broadcaster.
- Kari – pure
- Kaja – pure
- Maja – great.
- Linnéa -twinflower.
- Selma – safe.
- Freya – lady and divine.
- Sofia – wisdom.
- Elsa – pledged to God. Elsa Hosk is a Swedish model.
- Malin – little strong warrior. Malin Akerman is a Swedish-American model, actress, singer, and producer.
- Ingrid – beautiful. Ingrid Bergman was a Swedish actress who appeared in numerous European and American films, television shows, and plays.
- Greta – pearl. Greta Garbo was a Swedish-American actress.
- Ingrid – beautiful.
- Sonja – wisdom. Sonja Henie was a Norwegian figure skater and film star.
- Lena – torch, light. Lena Maria Jonna Olin is a Swedish actress.
- Noomi – pleasantness. Noomi Rapace is a Swedish actress.
- Zara – princess. Zara Maria Larsson is a Swedish pop singer.
Three-Syllable Popular Scandinavian Girl Names
- Madeleine – woman from Magdala. Inspired by Princess Madeleine.
- Agnetha – pure, holy. Agnetha Åse Fältskog, known as Agnetha Fältskog, is a Swedish singer, songwriter, and musician. Also the Scandinavian version of the name Agnes.
- Mercedes – mercies. Mercedes Mason is a Swedish-American actor/model best known for her roles as Zondra in Chuck and Isabel in The Finder.
- Caroline – freeman. Caroline Hjelt is a Swedish vocalist best known as one half of Icona Pop, a successful electro pop duo.
- Paulina – small. Paulina Porizkova is a Swedish model and actress.
- Rebecca – captivating. Inspired by Rebecca Ferguson.
- Agatha – good and follower of Christ.
- Alicia – noble. Alicia Amanda Vikander is a Swedish actress.
- Melinda – beautiful.
- Sofia – wisdom
Four-Syllable Popular Scandinavian Girl Names
- Victoria – victory. One of the most beautiful Scandinavian girl names. Inspired by Victoria, the Crown Princess of Sweden.
20 Mythological Scandinavian Girl Names
Why not choose a name for your child that is derived from mythology, which has historically impacted music, drama, and literature?
Check out the names inspired by Scandinavian myths and folktales.
One-Syllable Mythological Scandinavian Girl Names
- Frig – goddess of love and fertility. Wife of Odin and mother of Baldr.
- Hild – a warrior maiden. A valkyrie who chooses who will live and die in battle.
- Siv – goddess of fertility and harvest. Wife of Thor and goddess of home and hearth.
- Urd – one of the three Norns. Goddess of fate. Responsible for determining the destiny of individuals and events.
- Pia – goddess of battle and victory. Associated with the power and strength needed to triumph in war.
- Gerdhr – goddess of fertility
- Loke – goddess of mischief and trickery.
- Urdr – goddess of fate and destiny
- Tor – goddess of thunder and strength. Feminine form of Thor.
- Sif – goddess of fertility and harvest. Wife of Thor and goddess of home and hearth.
- Skuld – one of the three Norns. Goddess of the future and responsible for determining the destiny of events yet to come.
Two-Syllable Mythological Scandinavian Girl Names
- Gunnhild – a powerful queen and sorceress. She is known for her wisdom and beauty.
- Hildegard – a warrior maiden. A valkyrie who chooses who will live and die in battle.
- Freyja – goddess of love, beauty, fertility, and war. Daughter of Njörðr and sister of Freyr.
- Inga – goddess of fertility and agriculture. Associated with the growth of crops and bountiful harvests.
- Gyda – a goddess of war in Norse mythology. Possibly associated with battle and victory.
- Sigyn – goddess of loyalty and devotion. Wife of Loki and known for her faithfulness.
- Sigrun – a warrior maiden. A valkyrie who chooses who will live and die in battle.
- Thora – goddess of thunder and strength. Wife of Thor and known for her power and courage.
- Brynhild – a warrior maiden. A valkyrie who chooses who will live and die in battle, she is also known for her wisdom, beauty, and cunning.
25 Powerful Scandinavian Girl Names
Powerful Scandinavian girl names are names that are strong, meaningful, and have a rich cultural history.
These Scandinavian names for girls will portray a sense of fortitude and valor. It will give him the strength to take on life and overcome all odds that come his way.
Let your princess be the epitome of bravery and strength with these Powerful Scandinavian girl names.
One-Syllable Powerful Scandinavian Girl Names
- Gunn – battle. Gunnhild is a powerful queen and sorceress, known for her wisdom and beauty.
- Jarn – iron. Jarnsaxa is a giantess who was married to Thor and known for her strength and power.
- Njord – sea. Njord is the god of the sea, known for his power and strength over the ocean.
- Rolf – famous wolf. Rolf is a powerful warrior known for his strength, courage and his ability to shape-shift into a wolf.
- Ulf – wolf. Ulf is a powerful warrior known for his strength, courage and his ability to shape-shift into a wolf.
- Vig – war. Vig is a goddess of battle and victory, associated with the power and strength needed to triumph in war.
Two-Syllable Powerful Scandinavian Girl Names
- Aslaug – God-daughter
- Brynja – Armor
- Eirik – Ever-ruler
- Freya – Lady
- Gudrun – God-secret
- Helga – Sacred or holy
- Hildur – War
- Ingvar – Ing’s warrior
- Magnhild – Strong in battle
- Sigurd – Victory guard
- Gudrid – God-counsel
- Ragnhild – wise warrior
- Sigrid – victory
- Solveig – sun-way
- Thordis – Thor’s woman. A powerful name with a powerful Scandinavian meaning.
- Unnhild – warrior
- Yngvild – Ing’s warrior
Three-Syllable Powerful Scandinavian Girl Names
- Annika – unique. Inspired by Annika Sörenstam. This Scandinavian female name has an elegant twist.
- Ingibjorg – Ing’s protection
18 Nature-Inspired Scandinavian Girl Names
Nature-inspired Scandinavian girl names are names that are derived from natural elements, such as plants, animals, and geographic features, that are commonly found in the Scandinavian region.
These names often have strong cultural and historical significance and are often chosen for their symbolic meaning.
One-Syllable Nature-Inspired Scandinavian Girl Names
- Birk – birch tree. Birk is a name that is inspired by the birch tree, which is known for its resilience and adaptability.
- Fjell – mountain. Fjell is a name inspired by the mountain, which is known for its grandeur and majesty.
- Frost – frost. Frost is a name inspired by the frost, which is known for its beauty and its ability to create unique and intricate patterns.
- Hav – sea. Hav is a name inspired by the sea, which is known for its vastness and beauty.
- Is – ice. It is a name inspired by ice, which is known for its strength and durability.
- Lyn – lightning. Lyn is a name inspired by lightning, which is known for its power and energy.
- Sol – sun. Sol is a name inspired by the sun, which is known for its warmth and light.
- Storm – storm. Storm is a name inspired by the storm, which is known for its power and unpredictability.
- Vind – wind. Vind is a name inspired by the wind, which is known for its mobility and energy.
- Yl – wolf. Yl is a name inspired by the wolf, which is known for its strength, loyalty and intelligence.
Two-Syllable Nature-Inspired Scandinavian Girl Names
- Bjornen – bear
- Floden – river
- Gudmund – God-protector
- Halvor – rock defender
- Ljungen – lingonberry
- Roslin – delicate rose
- Skogen – forest
- Torden – thunder
11 Exotic Scandinavian Girl Names
Exotic Scandinavian girl names are names that have a unique, unusual, or foreign sound, but are still of Scandinavian origin. These names may have roots in other languages or cultures, but have been adopted and adapted by the Scandinavian people.
They often have a strong meaning and cultural significance. These names may be less common and may have a more unique or modern feel.
Two-Syllable Exotic Scandinavian Girl Names
- Disa – goddess of the hunt and wilderness
- Freydis – goddess of fierce femininity. Known for her courage and leadership.
- Haldis – goddess of the sea and seafaring
- Jorunn – goddess of the earth and sovereignty. She is known for her wisdom and power.
- Kari – goddess of the wind and the storms. Known for her wildness and unpredictability
- Olrun – goddess of poetry and song. Known for her artistic talents and her love of storytelling.
- Signy – goddess of love and desire. Known for her passion and her ability to inspire.
- Valkyr – goddess of the valkyries
Three-Syllable Exotic Scandinavian Girl Names
- Ulrika – wealthy ruler
- Natura – nature
- Elinor – bright one
Choosing a name for your child is an important and personal decision.
The list above offers a diverse selection of traditional, modern, nature-inspired, mythological, royal, and celebrity-inspired beautiful Scandinavian baby names that may provide inspiration for parents.
Each name is unique and has its own special meaning and significance. Whether you are looking for a one, two or three-syllable name, we hope this list of beautiful Scandinavian girls names will help you find the perfect name for your baby girl.
Ultimately, the perfect name is one that resonates with both the parents and the child, and that will be cherished for a lifetime.