We spent hours researching the history and meaning behind the name to come up with the 100+ best middle names. The first 26 names are unique for those who want something different.
The name Alexander is a remarkable one that means the Defender.
Alex is a typical boys’ name that finds its origin in Greek. It stems from Alexander the Great, one of the most powerful military generals of all time. His military prowess was seen in his conquest of the Persians and expanse of the Greek kingdom up to India and even to Egypt. In all his life, Alexander never lost a battle.
Alex is the 95th most popular name in 2021, according to Baby Center. Alexander is mostly used for boys, but over time, it’s gaining popularity among girls as well.
You can make your baby even more special by considering these great middle names for Alexander.
Let’s check out the CraftyMotherFather’s Selection of 100 Great middle names for Alexander.
Table of Content
- 120+ Best Middle Names for Alexander (Boy)
- 30+ Best Middle Names for Alex (Girl)
- Nicknames for Alexander/Alex (Boy and Girl)
- 7 reasons to Have a Middle Name for Baby Alex
- 7 Ideas to Craft a Middle Name for Baby Alexander
- Famous People Named Alexander
- Different Ways to Spell the Name Alexander
- Sibling and Twin Names for Alex
- Bringing it All Together
Best Middle Names for Alexander (Boy)
Unique (Four-Syllable) Middle Names for Alexander (Boy)
- Alexander Adrianna – Great sounding name; balanced
- Alexander Antonio
- Alexander Aurelius – Ambitious name with two emperor names
- Alexander Amadeus – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s middle name, meaning “Lover of God”
- Alexander Bartholomew – One of the rarest name
- Alexander Cornelius – Great for initials sounds; venerable
- Alexander Demetrius – Great sounding name
- Alexander Eliseo – God is my salvation
- Alexander Emmanuel – God is with us
- Alexander Emilio – Great sounding name
- Alexander Horatio “of the hour, time”
- Alexander Jedidiah “beloved of the Lord”
- Alexander Jeremiah – Great for initials A.J.; religious
- Alexander Leonardo – Great for modern and ancient association
- Alexander Leonidas – the most famous Spartan warrior
- Alexander Luciano – Great sounding name
- Alexander Nathaniel
- Alexander Nehemiah “comforted by God”
- Alexander Odysseus – Originated from Greek mythology; not for the fainted heart; great for someone ambitious
- Alexander Sebastian – Not ideal for last names start with S; see explanations
- Alexander Santiago – Not ideal for last names start with S; see explanations
- Alexander Salvatore – Not ideal for last names start with S; see explanations
- Alexander Tiberius – Another emperor name used to be hard to carry; more popular now according to Name Berry)
- Alexander Thelonious – Great sounding name)
- Alexander Valentino
- Alexander Zachariah “the lord has remembered”
One-Syllable Middle Names for Alexander (Boy)
- Alexander Ben
- Alexander Fox
- Alexander George
- Alexander Gray
- Alexander Grey
- Alexander Flynn
- Alexander Hawke
- Alexander Hugh
- Alexander Jay – Great for initials A.J.
- Alexander Jake – Great for initials A.J.
- Alexander Jack – Great for initials A.J.
- Alexander James – Great for initials A.J.
- Alexander John – Great for initials A.J.
- Alexander Jude – Great for initials A.J.
- Alexander Kane
- Alexander Iverson – Homage to Allen Iverson
- Alexander Leaf – using plant name to balance the heavy name Alex
- Alexander Lee
- Alexander Leo “Lion” – suitable for bravery
- Alexander Levi
- Alexander Liam
- Alexander Luke
- Alexander Paul
- Alexander Seth
- Alex Wyatt
Two-Syllable Middle Names for Alexander (Boy)
- Alexander Abbott
- Alexander Adams
- Alexander Asher
- Alexander Barrett
- Alexander Baxter
- Alexander Beckett
- Alexander Bennette
- Alexander Benson
- Alexander Blake
- Alexander Caleb
- Alexander Carson
- Alexander Carter
- Alexander Chase
- Alexander Colby
- Alexander Cooper
- Alexander Daniel
- Alexander Dante
- Alexander David
- Alexander Devon
- Alexander Eden
- Alexander Edwin
- Alexander Elis
- Alexander Ethan
- Alexander Ezra
- Alexander Frankie
- Alexander Francis
- Alexander Grady
- Alexander Hudson
- Alexander Isaac
- Alexander Jackson
- Alexander Jacob
- Alexander James
- Alexander Jamie
- Alexander Jarrett
- Alexander Jaxon
- Alexander Jonas
- Alexander Joseph
- Alexander Jordan
- Alexander Ledger
- Alexander Lenny
- Alexander Louis
- Alexander Lucas
- Alexander Mason
- Alexander Ryan
- Alexander Saylor
- Alexander Stanley
- Alexander Sterling
- Alexander Taylor
- Alexander Teddy
- Alexander Thomas
- Alexander Tommy
- Alexander Walker
- Alex Wilder
20+ Three-Syllable Middle Names for Alexander (Boy)
- Alexander Abraham
- Alexander Antony
- Alexander Benjamin
- Alexander Callahan
- Alexander Cameron
- Alexander Caradoc
- Alexander Charles
- Alexander Christian
- Alexander Christopher
- Alexander Lawrence
- Alexander Elias
- Alexander Grayson
- Alexander Gregory
- Alexander Hamilton
- Alexander Harrison
- Alexander Reuben
- Alexander Richard
- Alexander Riley
- Alexander Rowan
- Alexander Rufus
- Alexander Ryan
- Alexander Lincoln
- Alexander Maxwell
- Alexander Morrison
- Alexander Severin
- Alexander William
Best Middle Names for Alex (Girl)
One-Syllable Middle Names for Alex (Girl)
- Alex Anne
- Alex Blake
- Alex Bree
- Alex Cate
- Alex Dove
- Alex Elle
- Alex June
- Alex Mae
- Alex May
- Alex Pearl
Two-Syllable Middle Names for Alex (Girl)
- Alex Abigail
- Alex Ariana
- Alex Ariella
- Alex Colette
- Alex Ellen
- Alex Everly
- Alex Grace
- Alex Gillian
- Alex Zoe
- Alex Zuriel
Three-Syllable Middle Names for Alex (Girl)
- Alex Aurelia
- Alex Elena
- Alex Coralie
- Alex Delphine
- Alex Elizabeth
- Alex Emerald
- Alex Eugenia
- Alex Felicity
- Alex Feodora
- Alex Florence
- Alex Gabrielle
- Alex Zamorah
Nicknames for Alexander/Alex (Boy and Girl)
- Alivia (or Alyvia)
7 reasons to Consider Middle Names for Alexander
Middle names are optional. We have conducted a little research and found a number of benefits, ranging from completely sentimental to more practical value.
- Special: Adding a middle name for your baby is an easy way to make them even more special, e.g., Alex Josephine Hadley becomes A.J. Hadley.
- Traditional: It seems the more modern we get, the more we want to go back to our roots. You can be the first to give your son or daughter a middle name.
- Sound: It could make the first name sound more pleasant between the baby’s first name and your last name.
- Memory: You can use a middle name to remember someone, pay homage, or honor someone special. It can be a site or a place.
- Aspirational: You use a middle name as someone you want your baby to emulate by telling them stories of a particular Alex
- Noble: The middle name concept probably started with the ruling class in Rome according to Times. It was a way to which family one comes from and, more importantly, why one matters.
- Smart: CNBC reported that people tend to associate the person with middle initials with positive perceptions such as intelligence.
- Jobs: Adding a middle name to sound more familiar to people can increase odds in the job market according to research.
7 Ideas to Select Middle Names for Alexander
1. Pay homage:
Your personal hero like grandparents or someone inspirational, e.g., Warren Buffet or J.K Rowling can be a great source. Can you envisage telling baby Alex about the stories of those people?
2. Remember the heritage:
Is there a place, a site, a city special to you or baby Alex? Or, is there a culture or heritage that you want the baby to remember?
3. Make it personal:
The middle name for Alex only has to make sense to you. It’s a secret, a code within your world. You have more liberty with middle names.
4. Make it about value or belief:
What is the one word you want little Alex to live by? Believe? Innovate? Adopt? Fight? Then search for names with those meaning
5. Check the sounds:
Say the first/middle/last name together a few times to check the sounds. Say the first/middle to hear the sounds.
6. Check the initials and acronyms for Alex:
Watch out for initials that might become a source of ridicule, e.g., WTF, ASS. On the flip side, it might be cool to have things like BAD or AWE or ARK for your kid. If you are a ballplayer, NBA or NFL might work for you.
Just in case you want a bit more elaboration here, you might want to be mindful of the following. We will leave the judgment to you.
- ABA (American Bar or Bankers Association – lawyers or bankers)
- ACI (American Cleaning Institute)
- ARK (Might be good if you want your baby girl to be like Cathie Wood)
- AIR (Air can be quite cool)
- AOA (a South Korean Girl Group – might be good for dancing)
- AIG (American Insurance Group; Same title for a great business book)
- AMC (as in AMC Entertainment – a movie theater stock)
- AKA (also known as)
- ASS (this is probably the only one we would advise against)
7. Check the reputation:
Google the name and see if it is the name associated with horrible news or the adult industry. For example, you might want to avoid having the same first and middle name as a porn star for your baby.
Famous People Named Alexander
- Alexander the Great – A successful military warrior of Ancient Greek
- Alexander Skarsgård – Swedish actor from HBO series True Blood
- Alexander Hamilton – Founding Fathers of USA. American statesman, politician, legal scholar, military commander, lawyer, banker, and economist
- Alexander McQueen – Famous British fashion designer
- Alexander Payne – American film director, screenwriter, and producer
- Alexandrea Borstein – American actress, writer, producer, and comedian
- Alex Pettyfer – Movie actor of Magic Mike (2012)
- Alicia Keys – American singer-songwriter
- Alex Borstein – TV actress who joined Family Guy in 1999
- Alex Wolff – Drummer featured in the movie Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
- Alex Morgan – Renowned American soccer player
- Alexander Graham Bell – American inventor, scientist, and engineer
Different ways to Spell the Name Alexander
- Alejandro (Spanish variation)
Sibling and Twin Names for Alex
Here are amazing and cute names for baby Alex’s siblings.
Baby Brother Names for Alex
- Andrew (Alliteration)
- Ayden (Alliteration)
- Carter (Consonance)
- Asher (Alliteration and Consonance)
- Oliver (Consonance)
- Christopher (Consonance)
- Cooper (Consonance)
- Allan (Alliteration)
- Albert (Alliteration)
- Allen (Alliteration)
Baby Sister Names for Alex
- Emma (Consonance)
- Anna (Alliteration and consonance)
- Jessica (Consonance)
- Alisson (Alliteration)
- Amelia (Alliteration and consonance)
- Ayva (Alliteration and consonance)
- Allena (Alliteration and consonance)
- Alma (Alliteration and consonance)
- Allie (Alliteration and consonance)
- Bella (Consonance)
Bringing it All Together
The name Alexander is a great choice. You have already nailed the first part for picking a baby name. Now, adding a middle name to your baby boy or baby girl can create a better balance or special connection.
Middle names can be cool, modern, traditional, inspirational, or memorial. It’s totally up to you. Either way, it makes your world a bit more special. It tells a story. In some cases, it can even help baby Alex get a job.
We have curated a list of 200+ names that work equally well for baby boy and baby girl Alex.
Make sure you have checked the meaning, sound, and reputation of the middle name. Baby Alex will thank you for that.
Over to you crafty mothers and fathers! We hope you enjoy our post.
Tell us which ideas you like the most in the comment section.
Share it with your partner or friends and ask their thoughts.
Shane is passionate about researching and comparing interesting baby stuff for his 2.5 y/o girl. He clearly wants to help his wife spend his money wisely. After getting his Master’s in Health Management in London, he worked for a top-tier naming and branding consulting firm based in the US. He helps with the research on this site.