Are you looking for cool name ideas for your baby boy? How about some science fiction or movies in the fantasy land for inspiration?
We looked into the best movies, games, and books to come up with a list of cool and meaningful Sci-Fi and Fantasy names for Boys.
We looked into books and videos like the 50 Greatest Video Game Characters to write this article. Of course, we include some popular video games and movies back in the day.
We looked into names and characters from popular games like Street Fighters, Gears of War, Final Fantasy. We also reviewed popular movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones.
Let’s start with some of the benefits of using Sci-Fi and Fantasy names for boys.
Benefits of using Sci-Fi c Fantasy names for Boys
- They are unique and will make your child stand out from the crowd.
- They are cool and modern. With trending movies like Star Wars and Game of Thrones, fantasy and sci-fi names have grown more popular in recent times.
- They have a special meaning that you can share with your child. Fantasy and sci-fi movies and novels are created by innovative writers and artists, who are unusual and often challenge the status quo without being weird or uncool.
- They are perfect for parents who love science fiction or fantasy movies. In fact, many of these names are ethereal and exciting with deep and unique meanings. A sci-fi and fantasy name could encourage them to embrace science and creativity because they are inspired to believe that anything is possible.
Here is our selection of the best Sci-fi & Fantasy baby boy names
12 Awesome Sci-Fi & Fantasy Baby Boy Names
Spock first appeared in the original Star Trek series. An amazing fantasy boy name.
From Game of Thrones – Aegon Targaryen is actually Jon Snow. (What? Yep, Jon Snow is a Targaryen. That’s why the dragons listen to him. Oops… I hope you have already watched it…)
Inspired by the influential science fiction author Aldous Huxley.
A fictional character in the Star Wars franchise.
Inspired by Doctor Emmett Brown from Back to the Future, this name could be one of the amazing fantasy boy names.
A boy’s name of German origin meaning “respected friend. A character in the movie Attack on Titan.
Hogarth is an intelligent, energetic, and curious 9-year-old boy with an active imagination in the movie The Iron Giant. The Iron Giant was considered an underdog movie by talented director Brad Bird. It is based on the book: the Iron Man: A Children’s Story In Five Nights written by Poet Laureate Ted Hughes in 1968.
The Italian name means Famous. Ludo is the name for the gigantic beast in Labyrinth.
In The Lord of the Rings, through the forging of the One Ring, Sauron is the primary antagonist who rules Mordor and has ambitions to rule the entire realm.
Sheldon, well, Dr. Sheldon, is arguably the craziest but also the funniest character in the Big Bang Theory. The Baby Sheldon is also very fun to watch.
A Scottish name for one of the dragons in the Dragon Age videogames
French origin means to list or stutter. A character in Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter & the Deathly HallowsHarry Potter .
You might also like:
- Best Online Breastfeeding Courses
- Best Online Childbirth Classes
- New Moms Guide to Strollers
- 87 Unique Baby Shower Games
25 Popular Sci-Fi & Fantasy Boy Names
Collection of popular sci-fi & fantasy baby boy names.
This Latin name means conqueror or winner. It can be a reference to Victor Frankenstein, the scientist who brings the creature to life in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
Sora is a warm and courageous character from Disney’s Kingdom Heart. I like the name because it is short and modern, so it’s probably easier for your kid to relate and be like Sora.
While it is most popularly associated with the constellation Orion’s Belt, Orion Black is also the name of the father of Sirius Black in the Harry Potter series, and it’s the name of a warrior god in the comic book series New Gods.
You can name your child in honor of the actor, Patrick Stewart, who portrayed Jean-Luc Picard in Starfleet.
A Greek name, Peter comes from ‘Petros’, which means ‘stone or rock’. This can be after Bill Murray’s ghostbusting character in the movies Ghostbusters, Peter Pan or even Peter Quill from Guardians of the Galaxy.
Murphy was an Irish surname that comes from a more ancient name, O’Murchadha, which means ‘descendant of sea warrior’. It can be a reference to Alex Murphy, a character better known by his cyborg name – RoboCop.
Marcus Fenix is the strongest and the happiest Marine from the “Gears of Wars.” Marcus is a common Roman name that means ‘warlike.’
This Scottish Gaelic name means a devotee of Saint Columba. Malcolm Reynolds is from Firefly and Serenity or Malcolm Merlyn is a player in the Green Arrow universe.
Latin in origin, Luke means light. This could go one of two ways for sci-fi or fantasy inspiration — Luke in the Percy Jackson series or Luke Skywalker in Star Wars.
Leonard Nemoy will always be remembered for his portrayal of Spock, the Vulcan. Leonard was also the name of the doctor from Star Trek.
Jack is an English name that means God is gracious. Jack could be for fantasy icons, such as Captain Jack Harness from The Doctor Who spin-off series, Jack Sparrow, or Jack and the Beanstalk.
A popular English surname, Jackson translates to ‘son of Jack’. It can refer to the powerful Demi-god Percy Jackson.
This Hebrew name means he who supplants. Jamie Fraser, played by Sam Heughan, is one of the two leads of the romantic fantasy Outlander.
Need we say more? Harry is one of the most incredible names, associated with the legendary Gryffindor member, Harry Potter.
As you may know, this name means son of Harry. This is a baby name you might give to your boy in honor of Harrison Ford, associated with the character Han Solo from the Star-Wars saga.
It is of Scottish, English, and Irish origin. One character bearing this name is the lead character from the Barsoom novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Magnus Chase is a popular series of books by Percy Jackson author Rick Riordan. This name comes from Old French and English and has the meaning of huntsman.
Connor is an Irish name that means lover of hounds or lover of wolves. The Connor family is the heart of the Terminator franchise.
A compound name, Bernard is composed of the elements bern meaning bear and hard meaning bold, hearty, brave, or strong. It is a nod to the character Bernard Lowe on Westworld.
Meaning immortal, this Latin name comes from Sabrina Spellman’s Cousin Ambrose – a powerful entity in his own right in the fantasy series, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
This fantasy name might be ascribed to amphibious Abraham “Abe” Sapien, who is a character in the Hellboy comics, and Abraham Van Helsing who was the original vampire slayer long before Buffy arrived on the scene.
Blade is an English word that means knife or sword. In the comic books, Blade is a famous character who vampire killer who is half-man and half-vampire.
Nicholas stems from Greek origins and means victory of the people. Nicholas, or Nick, Scratch is Sabrina Spellman’s boyfriend in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
Old English in origin, Westley means western meadow. It comes from Westley, the hero of the book The Princess Bride.
This classic British name means “resolute protector.” It brings to mind the heir to the British throne and can be a reference to the character William in Battlestar Galactica.
The Latin name refers to a redheaded. This big character appears in the Street Fighter series of fighting games and seeks to defeat Ken Masters.
You might also like:
- 550 Unique Nonbinary Names With Meaning And Reference
- White Names for Boys
- Black Names for Boys
- Plant Names For Boys
- Plant Names For Girls
23 Unique Sci-Fi & Fantasy Boy Names
Collection of unique sci-fi baby names for your baby boy
Associated with Septimus Heap, the seventh son and the title character in the children’s book series Septimus Heap, and it lends itself to cute nicknames like Tim.
Serling doesn’t have any particular meaning or origin, but a closely-related name, Sterling, which is an English name, means genuine. It is a nod to Rod Serling, the creator of The Twilight Zone.
Rylan means land where rye is grown. In the movie The Last Starfighter, Rylan was a master spy for the Star League.
Max, which is Latin in origin, means greatest. It comes from the sci-fi tale, Mad Max and can be short for Maximilian or Maxwell.
This name can be a tribute to Star Trek’s Montgomery Scott, better known as Scotty, on the USS Enterprise.
An occupational name that comes from Germany, Mulder means the maker of wooden bowls. It refers to Fox Mulder, a hero in X-Files.
Verne is an Old French name that means alder grove or dweller among the ferns. Jules Verne, like H.G. Wells, is an author who is often called the Father of Science Fiction.
Stemming from Old English, this name which serves as an alternate to the name Landon, means long hill. It comes from the character in Star Wars named Lando Calrissian.
Kirk, a Scottish name, means church. James Tiberius Kirk was the original captain in the Star Trek franchise.
This Gaelic name claims fantasy status from General Kael, the leader of the Nockmaar army in Willow. It’s also the name of a character in World of Warcraft.
The king of the goblins, Jareth was the true star of the movie Labyrinth in our eyes. Jareth also can be a great alternative to the names Jarod and Jaron.
This is a baby-name-fit that means “army ruler,” It is connected to the renegade Time Lord in Doctor Who.
This Old German name means universal or entire. Emmett “Doc” Brown is the wacky scientist and inventor who created time travel in the Back to the Future series.
Decker is a similar name which is a German occupational name for a roofer. This can be in honor of Harrison Ford’s character in Blade Runner.
Means “of the sea,” and is associated with C.S. Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia. It’s also the name of the main character in The Hollow book trilogy.
Though it was originally coined as the name of a Greek goddess, many prefer to use it as a boys’ name. The unique name has more popular nicknames – Art and Artie.
Albus, a Latin name, means bright or white. Albus Dumbledore was headmaster of the wizarding school Hogwarts in J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. He was a force of good, positivity, and loyalty.
Garrick is Old English in origin and means spear king. It is the cool-sounding name of one of the characters in the Harry Potter series.
This simple name, pronounced like Otto, is the name of hobbit Bilbo’s cousin. It’s also the name of a character on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine In German, it means “wealthy.”
Perseus is not only the name of the son of Zeus, from Greek mythology or the constellation of the same name, but it also refers to the titular character in author Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson & the Olympians series.
Irish and Gaelic in origin, Roarke means champion. It can refer to Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island. Roarke also could be given an alternate spelling, such as Ruark or Roark.
It is a cool-sounding name associated with the white dragon from The Neverending Story. With a similar but less ‘birdy’ sound to Falcon, Falkor does not have a meaning and is said to be derived from the German word ‘Fuchur.
There is no meaning for initial, but it’s a symbol on the periodic table, it stands for mercury, which is also known as quicksilver. H.G. is in reference to author H.G. Wells, who is sometimes referred to as the Father of Science Fiction.
24 Baddass Sci-Fi & Fantasy Boy Names
The name, which means “victorious peace,” is related to the alien stage persona Ziggy Stardust and the super hybrid computer that runs the Project Quantum Leap.
I would pick this as the most scientific baby name for the appearance of the name in math: Pascal’s Theorem, Pascal’s Law, Pascal’s Wager, and Pascal’s Triangle fame
Tyrion was a name created for the Game of Thrones book series. Arguably one of the most famous characters. As a nickname, you could go with Ty or even Ryan.
Tyrone, aka Ty, or Rone, is also a badass name inspired by the name of real hero Navy SEALs, Tyrone Woods, in the movie 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. The movie is based on the true story of the attack by militants on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012.
Being the brightest star in the night sky, Sirius is also popular as the name of the beloved character from the Harry Potter series, Sirius Black. However, this name isn’t in widespread use yet and is great if you want a name that stands out.
This old Irish name means “little seal.” It’s also the name of a heroic centaur in the Harry Potter series, a character from the sci-fi TV series Stargate: Atlantis, and a villain in Guardians of the Galaxy.
The name Logan comes from Ireland and means “dweller in the little hollow.” It is a tribute to Wolverine’s real name, Logan.
This Scottish baby-name-fit means the Lord is gracious. Ian McKellen played Gandalf the Wizard in The Lord of the Rings movies.
This is most commonly used as a variant of Hans or a nickname for Hanson, but it’s also the name of Han Solo. Han is one of those names that’s still relatively unused by modern parents.
The name is pronounced GIE-us and is Latin for “I am glad.” It has several associations such as Dr. Gaius Baltar, a scientist on Battlestar Galactica, and Gaius who was the humble court physician in Merlin.
Originating from Irish, Arthur means to bear or of noble strength. From the infamous brave Prince Arthur to the kindhearted Weasley dad in the Harry Potter OR even the amazing superhero Arthur Curry/Aquaman, there are plenty of remarkable characters to name your child after.
This name means fair-haired or yellow. It can be a tribute to singer David Bowie, who starred in the 1980s fantasy classic, Labyrinth, and sang the popular sci-fi anthem, Space Oddity.
Burton is a name after LeVar Burton who rocked his role and his eyepiece as Geordi La Forge on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
’80s kids will recognize Bastian as the title character in The Neverending Story. Bastian could be a nickname to more popular name Sebastian.
In Hebrew and English, Davy means beloved. This comes from a fascinating character from the Pirates of the Caribbean fantasy series.
This means dark or brown-haired chieftain. It refers to Mike Donovan, the main character in the 1980s television miniseries and subsequent regular series called V. V.
Drax, a modern and unusual name, was originally a surname with no clear meaning or definite origin. In Guardians of the Galaxy, Drax is a loyal, well-muscled fictional character.
From the movie Jason Bourne, Jason is a former CIA agent drawn out of hiding by CIA director Robert Dewey.
From the Game of Thrones, Khal Drogo was a chieftain of the Dothraki Khalasars. Known as “The Great Khal,” he was among the most powerful people in the Dothraki empire.
The name Jon means God has given. It can be a tribute to Jon Snow, an endearing and famous character on Game of Thrones.
This is a Greek name that means warrior or man’s, defender. Lex can be a tribute to Lex Luthor, Superman’s nemesis, or a shoutout to Lexx, the science fiction television series. It can also act as a nickname.
This English name means gift of God. It is a shoutout to Jedi master Mace Windu, a character played by the incomparable Samuel L. Jackson in the Star Wars prequel.
Pronounced like Jordy, this variant of the name George means “farmer.” It is associated with a character in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
The name comes from Latin and was used to describe the royal purple dye used for clothing in the Roman Empire, which explains its distinctly regal sound. It is the name of a character in The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis.
7 Unisex Sci-Fi & Fantasy Names for Boys & Girls
- Soren – The Danish name is the name of characters from The Matrix Reloaded, Underworld, and Guardians of Ga’Hook.
- Sam – Sam is a Hebrew name that means name of God, but it also has a Persian meaning that stands for a character in Shahnameh. Sam is highly versatile – it can be use associated with Samus Aran from Metroid as well as Samwise Gangee, a loyal and true Hobbit friend to Frodo Baggins.
- Marty – Marty is a cool, gender neutral name associated with the science fiction character Marty McFly in Back to the Future.
- Angel – The name Angel is wildly popular and means “messenger”. It is a nod to Angel, a beloved character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Ray – An English name, Ray can mean beam of light or protecting hands, depending upon which source you believe. It is a nod to Ray Bradbury who was one of the most popular science fiction and fantasy writers in the United States.
- Alex – Alex is a Greek name that means warrior or defender of mankind. It can be associated with the gender-fluid Alex Fierro in the Magnus Chase series. This is one of the good fantasy boy names.
- Rory – A gender-neutral name of Irish origin. A character in the movie Doctor Who
7 Exotic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Boy Names
- Milo – of Slavic origin meaning “beloved”. The main character in the 1961 children’s novel “The Phantom Tollbooth.
- Idris – of Arabic origin, an operating system from the 1980s
- Gandalf – the name for a wizard in the movie Lord of The Rings, one of the Istari order, and the leader and mentor of the Fellowship of the Ring.
- Ender – A popular Turkish name that has become popular in amongst the English, thanks to Orson Scott Card’s sci-fi novel Ender’s Game.
- Xavier – Of Arabic and Basque origin, Xavier means “new house or bright.” It is the last name of Professor X, a mutant telepath who can control and read minds in X-Men.
- Kaidan – of Arabic origin meaning “companion”. A name for a character in the video game Mass Effect
- Sisko – A Finnish name, Sislo means sister. It refers to the sci-fi character Captain Benjamin Sisko, the Federation space station captain of Deep Space Nine. An alternative spelling, Cisco, would give you the character of Cisco Ramon, a scientific genius in The Flash television series.
8 Nature-inspired Sci-Fi & Fantasy for Baby Boys
Here you will find a collection of names that are inspired by nature, plants, or animals.
We borrowed names from popular videos games like Final Fantasy and old movies in the 80s to give you this list.
- Cloud – Cloud Strife first appeared in Final Fantasy VII (1997). Cloud is one of the most popular male players in the gaming world.
- Fox – This name is inspired by agent Fox Mulder from the X-Files. It is traditionally a last name and can be respelled with an extra “x” to get to the illustrious Jamie Foxx.
- Spike – Of American origin that means Long, Heavy Nail. A fictional character in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.
- Aquila – This striking, yet rare name has a Latin meaning of ‘eagle’, but is often used for girls in the US and in Muslim countries. Aquila is one of the characters in the 1985 movie Ladyhawke.
- Echo is a rather unusual but viable choice. It’s a story of courage in Dollhouse. As shown in the movie, Echo stopped Rossum Corporation from enslaving the world.
- Ash – means ash tree – the main character in the world famous Pokemon.
- Leon – from the popular “Resident Evil” games and movies.
- Ezio – from the Assassin’s Creed video game series. Italy’s master assassin, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, is at the center of the series. His name means ‘eagle’ in Greek.
Best Books for Naming Babies
- 100,000+ Baby Names: The most helpful, complete, & up-to-date name book – This book contains 100,000+ names including the newly popular names and the latest naming trends.
- The Name Book: Over 10,000 Names – Their Meanings, Origins, and Spiritual Significance – A comprehensive book of 12,000 names, including their meanings, origins, and spiritual significance, with a supporting Scripture for each.
- The Baby Name Wizard, 2019 Revised 4th Edition: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby – A fully revised and updated version of the classic baby name guide, featuring updated trends, facts, ideas, and thousands of enchanting names.
- The Complete Book of Baby Names: The #1 Baby Names Book with the Most Unique Baby Girl and Boy Names – The Complete Book of Baby Names as their essential guide for choosing the perfect name for their child.
We’ve given you the list of some of the best baby boy names inspired by all things sci-fi and everything fantasy.
Many of these names are easy to recognize from numerous popular books, movies, and shows but the origin of some is less apparent.
No matter what, you can be certain that any of these names would be a great choice for your imaginative and valiant young prince.